A blog for my students and all English learners.

It deals with various everyday issues, news, curiosities

and things that arouse my interest every day.

wtorek, 14 lutego 2012

Saint Valentine's Day

Antique Valentine

Here it is again...Valentine's Day! It is a festival celebrated on 14 February all over the world, mostly in the United States but also in European countries and Australia. The origins of the festival may be quite surprising - the holiday commemorates Christian martyrs called Valentinus. The day first became associated with love in  the circle of English poet Geoffrey Chaucer in the Middle Ages, when courtly love was in bloom. By the 15th century the festival had already been known as a festival of people in love - lovers sent each other cards (known as 'valentines'), flowers and confectionery. 

Valentine's Day Vocabulary
love / lʌv/ - ;)
to be in love - być zakochanym
to fall in love with sb - zakochać się
to fall/be head over hills in love with sb - zakochać się po uszy
love at first sight - miłość od pierwszego wejrzenia
card- kartka
valentine - walentynka
chocolates - czekoladki
box - pudełko
a bunch of flowers - bukiet kwiatów
a date - randka
to go out with sb - spotykać się z kimś
boyfriend, boyf (informal) - chłopak (sympatia)
girlfriend, girlf (informal) - dziewczyna
to kiss - całować się
to hug - przytulać się
engagement ring - pierścionek zaręczynowy
to get engaged  - zaręczyć się
to get married to sb - wyjść za mąż/ożenić się
confectionery - czekoladki 
martyr - męczennik
to be associated with sth - kojarzyć się z czymś
to be considered as sth - być uważanym za coś
the Middle Ages - Średniowiecze

I invite you to listen to one of the songs I associate with love  
- 'When I fall in love'.




When I fall in love, 
It will be forever, 
Or I'll never fall in love. 

In a restless world like this is, 
Love is ended before it's begun, 
And too many moonlight kisses 
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun. 

When I give my heart, 
It will be completely, 
Or I'll never give my heart. 

And the moment I can feel that 
You feel that way, too, 
Is when I'll fall in love with you. 

~interlude~ 

And the moment I can feel that 
You feel that way, too, 
Is when I'll fall in love with you.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz