A blog for my students and all English learners.

It deals with various everyday issues, news, curiosities

and things that arouse my interest every day.

poniedziałek, 6 sierpnia 2012

Suzanne Vega - "Tom's Diner"- Answers



I am sitting
In the morning (=siedzę rano)
At the diner (=w knajpie)
On the corner (=w rogu)

I am waiting
At the counter (=czekam przy barze)
For the man
To pour the coffee (=na tego faceta by nalał kawy)

And he fills it
Only halfway (=nalewa tylko do połowy)
And before
I even argue (=i zanim wogóle zacznę się kłócić)

He is looking (=patrzy na szybę)
Out the window 
At somebody
Coming in (=na kogoś, kto wchodzi)

"It is always
Nice to see you" (=zawsze miło cię widzieć)
Says the man
Behind the counter (=mówi mężczyzna za barem)

To the woman
Who has come in (=do kobiety, która weszła)
She is shaking
Her umbrella (=potrząsa parasolem)

And I look
The other way (=patrzę w drugą stronę)
As they are kissing
Their hellos (~witają się pocałunkiem)

I'm pretending
Not to see them (=udaję, że ich nie widzę)
Instead (=zamiast tego)
I pour the milk (=nalewam mleko)

I open
Up the paper (=otwieram gazetę)
There's a story (=jest historia)
Of an actor (=o aktorze)

Who had died
While he was drinking (~który się zapił na śmierć)
It was no one
I had heard of (=nie był to ktoś, o kim wcześniej słyszałam)

And I'm turning
To the horoscope (=przechodzę do horoskopów)
And looking
For the funnies* (=szukam części humorystycznej)

When I'm feeling
Someone watching me (=czuję, że ktoś na mnie patrzy)
And so
I raise my head (=więc podnoszę głowę)

There's a woman
On the outside (=na zewnątrz)
Looking inside (=patrząca do środka)
Does she see me? (=czy ona mnie widzi)

No she does not
Really see me (=nie, ona mnie nie widzi)
Cause she sees
Her own reflection (=ona widzi swoje odbicie)

And I'm trying
Not to notice (=staram się nie zauważać)
That she's hitching
Up her skirt (=że podciąga spódnicę)

And while she's
Straightening her stockings (=jak poprawia pończochy)
Her hair
Has gotten wet (=jej włosy zrobiły się mokre)

Oh, this rain
It will continue 
Through the morning (~ten deszcz będzie dalej padał cały ranek)
As I'm listening (=i słucham)

To the bells
Of the cathedral (=dzwonów katerdy)
I am thinking
Of your voice...(=myślę o twoim głosie)

And of the midnight picnic
Once upon a time
Before the rain began... (=i o pikniku o północy, kiedyś, zanim ten deszcz się zaczął)

I finish up my coffee (=kończę moją kawę)
It's time to catch the train (=czas złapać pociąg)

Quite atmospheric...isn't it? 

* the funnies - the part of a newspaper where there are several drawings that tell a funny story

An example of the funnies

Source of the drawing: the Internet

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz